Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sugar Cookies!

I'm not good at making sugar cookies.  I kind of don't like it!

I spend a good couple weeks preparing cookies for our annual open house for our congregations.  I like to do the "drop cookies" as they are called in my favorite cookie cookbook.  I don't have time for rolling.

but my oldest son...

He wanted to make sugar cookies so bad!

I think that's the problem with reading a lot of books and watching (a lot) of TV.  Somewhere he read or saw a kid making sugar cookies.  I'm not sure why, but it stuck with him.

He really needed to make sugar cookies with me.  Complete with a rolling pin, flour, and cookie cutters.

It meant something to him!  Maybe not to me, but to him.  Whatever was on the show or in the book made him think this would be something special.

Oh my!

It took forever...well maybe not forever, but at least an hour of rolling and baking!

No matter how many times I said, "start at the edge" the first stick of the cookie cutter went in the dead center.  He tried to mix little cookies with big cookies, put flour on the rolling surface, he messed some up and tried to fix them.  It was a process.

But it meant something to him.  

And that's where I come in!  It didn't mean anything before, but it means something to me now.  My son, really wanted to do this with me.  The hour was worth it.  The small extra mess was worth it.

Would I put every cookie out to serve at the open house if I had done them?  No.  But this sweet face is so proud of his cookies.  We will decorate them soon and every cookie will go out on my cookie table at the open house.

Because now it means something to me!


Linkin' up with Bigger Picture Blogs at Undercover Mother

4 comments:

  1. Sugar cookies are a chore for me, too! I've made them with my children before, and they take a lot of patience. Good for you for sticking it out! The grin on his face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to try sugar cookies with Zoe! But since I, too, find them hard work, I will wait until it means something to her. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls LOVE helping out with baking which makes it even longer of a project for me but totally worth it for the memories!

    You and M made some great memories, cookie making! Good job Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, Lindy. Yes! And now it means something to you both. What absolute sweetness.

    ReplyDelete