Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The house is OPEN!

We finished the open house.  I managed to get a few spots off the carpets and the toys picked up.  It was a success.  I did my typical cookie baking and had so much fun getting the house ready.  I promised some recipes and it seems the Rachel at Finding Joy needs some cookie recipes.  So, here is my open house favorites.  I tried a few new recipes this year and as usual they never turn out until after you've made the favorites.  I had more epic fails when I tried new recipes this year than even, but after boosting my confidence with my classics I managed a few good new finds.


In the large cookie jar is actually Nuts and Bolts.  My favorite cereal mix.  I suggest you try it this year before you pull out the chex mix.  This has a little kick and is super yummy.  It also freezes so well.  I love having some in the freezer to add to gifts.  

Now, here are my cookies!  I made more than this for the open house, but these are my favs.  


finding joy | Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap


Touch of Lemon Sugar Cookies!
These are my husband's favorites.  You know, the ones you're scared to try because they won't be as good as his mom's.  I do just fine, he says so!  These are super easy and I even tried them with orange juice and orange peel this year.  Just as yummy, but my hubby still prefers the lemon.




2 cups sugar
1 cups margarine or butter, softened (use butter…)
1 Tblsp grated lemon peel
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 ¼ cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda

In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla and eggs; blend until smooth.  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.  Stir in flour, salt, soda, and cream of tartar until well blended.  Chill 1 hour.

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease cookie sheets.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden color.  (They will be soft in center).  Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets.  Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies.  




Andes Mint Cookies
This is a recipe from my grandma.  I love making these cookies.  This year I found andes mints that were cherry flavored.  I used those on half and the regular mints on the other half.  These taste great and also look really nice with the swirled mint on top.  


¾ Cup butter
1 ½ Cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp. water
12 oz chocolate chips
2 Eggs
2 ¾ cup flour
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ tsp soda
Andes Mints

Melt together butter, brown sugar, and water.  Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.  Let stand 10 minutes to cool.  (I usually switch to another bowl to make sure they get cooled). 

Mix in remaining ingredients.  Chill dough at least one hour.  Roll into balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.   

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes.  Remove and place ½ mint on top.  Place back in oven for about 10 seconds.  Swirl mint with spoon.  

and last but not least...an easy one.  It's from my betty crocker cookie book and it is from the "Fix 'em with a Mix" section.  I even froze these little guys and they came out just fine.  

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
The recipe has a list of cake mixes you can use.  I used the devil's food mix.  It also suggests butter pecan, chocolate chip, chocolate fudge, german chocolate, or yellow cake mix.  

1 package Betty Crocker cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (not for me, but maybe you like that)
1 package (6 ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips- I used mini ones.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat half of the cake mix (dry), the butter, vanilla, and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, or mix with a spoon.  Stir in remaining cake mix, the nuts and chocolate chips.   

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are set (centers will be soft).  Cool one minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  

Now, I'm going to relax in my clean house and eat a few left over cookies.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm off to make the Andes Mint Cookies!!! They sound fabulous! The trick will be not eating all the Andes Mints BEFORE making the cookies.

    My mother makes some lemon cookies. They are one of my favorites.

    Thanks for linking up, my blogging friend!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Rachel's Linky party. These all sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound delish, but I think I am going to have to make those Andes ones. Saving the recipe now :) I linked up over at Rachel's too. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete