Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tornado Warning! (and leftovers)

Listen up folks, we're in a tornado warning.  Well, it's over now but we did spend some time in the bathroom.  We were prepared to jump in the tub and protect our kids from the big storm that missed us by a few miles.

It seems Minnesota has been hit hard with storms recently and my home, heart, and head are no exception. I sat in the bathroom reading books to my toddler and slowly going crazy.  My house is a mess.  I'm so embarrassed by what has happened.  The mess is out of the control.  The laundry is laying out, the dirty diapers are piling up.  It's just never ending.

My heart is going crazy as I learn to balance the living room and the work in my life.  And my head.  My poor stinkin' head!  It's a tornado in there.  There is so much going on with our calendar, our family, and other things I have to do.  The cross country season is quickly sneaking up on me.  I have a few more MOPS craft project I would like to do before my position is discussed at our meeting.  I am learning though.  My friend called today and actually wanted the company of me complete with my toddler and baby to go shopping in the city with her.  I said yes.  My hubby thought it would be a good idea to get out. It was.  Now, I just have to deal with the tornado that didn't clean itself up while I was gone!

Lucky for me, we had leftovers for dinner!  Here is one of my favorite recipe.  I love it because it only makes a 9x9 inch pan (which is great for our family) and the leftovers are just as good from the microwave with some extra cheese on top.  Enjoy it!


Cheesy Rice Casserole         

1 Cup uncooked long grain rice (I used brown rice)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T butter or margarine
3 cups water
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried parsley falkes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1 pound ground beef, cooked & drained
1/2 cup shredded cheese



In a large saucepan, saute rice and garlic in butter until golden brown. Stir in water, carrots, bouillon, parsley, salt, basil, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beef. Transfer to a greased 9 in square baking dish. Cover and bake at 325 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.


UPDATE!
*I use a handful of frozen mixed veggies now instead of carrots.  I also found that it works best to cover the pan with foil instead of a lid.  I think it helps absorb the water better.  Enjoy!  

1 comment:

  1. I can totally identify with this. Where is diaster relief when you need it? Because my house and head sure do,too.

    ReplyDelete