Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Martin's first blanket!


This is Martin's first blanket from his mama. I am happy it's done. I love the way the pattern "Looks" but it was challenging. The stitches are super easy and the pattern was easy to follow. I just had trouble getting all of the ends tied in and looking good. Every row was a new color and stitch to tie in. It's pretty big so I think it will be able to keep him warm for a long time (or until I make him another one). I have a small project in my bag and scarf to finish. I also need to get started on the next baby's blanket. I want that done by the time baby shows up! I'm already 31 1/2 weeks. I can't believe it. I'm thankful this blanket was done in time to wrap it up for Christmas.

My husband was at text study and they were discussing the biblical text for next Sunday and the Old Testament reading was from 1 Samuel.  It was a short passage about Hannah sewing garments for Samuel.  She gave Samuel to God but each year still made him a robe to wear.  I'm sure that, just like me, she prayed for her son as she made it.  And just like Hannah, I have had to give up my son to God.  I can't hold onto my son.  He is a baptized child of God and is a gift to me from God.  I thought about my son a lot as I made that blanket.  Would he take it to college?  A high school football game?  Cross country meet?  Where would he use it?  It's not the best blanket, but we'll see just where he goes and maybe where he takes it with him.  That may be thinking too far ahead, but I prayed for his future as I made that blanket, as I'm sure Hannah prayed for Samuel's future as she made his robes.  What does/did God have in store for our sons?

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job on the afghan! Not fun when you have to weave in a thousand ends, for sure!

    How special that Martin gets to have something special like that to keep when he gets older. I'm sure it will be cherished forever!

    P.S. Just in case you thought I forgot about you...I haven't! I'm so sorry, it's been a busy week and then my printer decided it didn't want to print anymore! I've been on the hunt to find new ink but it seems that they don't make that particular kind anymore. Fun, fun!

    Hope you have a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete