Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Valentine's for the birds

Our Highlights High Five magazine came this week.  Some months the boys are into it and some months they aren't.  This month was a winner.  We read all the stories and then we had to do the craft!  We made some Valentine's for the birds.  My oldest son if very into feeding the birds (but not actually touching them or being around them).  He loves to paint or color on those $1 wooden birder feeds you can get.  So, it was no surprise he wanted to make a bird feeder.  Thankfully, my hubby was going to the store that day and bought us some bird seed!

Here we go!

I cut hearts out of cardboard we had laying around.  We used a paper punch to cut a hole in the top of the heart.  Then, the boys took a try at covering both sides in shortening.  


Then, the youngest thought it would be fun to pat the bird seed all over the kitchen.  The joy of art projects with young kids.  Anyway, stick your bird seed in a pie plate.  


Then, press your shortening covered cardboard heart into the birdseed and cover both sides.  We added a little piece of yarn and we were finished.

It was super cold when we made these (think below zero + a windchill).  So I bundled up while the boys watched from the window and hung our hearts on my little tree.  


I think the birds will really enjoy these when it's not super windy and below zero out!  We will have to wait and see.  Thankfully we have plenty of birdseed so we can make lots more.

Linking up with Sarahndipities




buttonLinkin' up here too!


Check out RIGHT HERE for a giveaway




5 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! Very thoughtful too, I'm sure the birds will love it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a lovely idea... now if I can just get MY boys (23 and 21)interested..... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Zoe and I might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing at my party!!

    ReplyDelete