Elisabeth from About Crochet is hosting a contest to create a project using a simple stitch pattern and it's variations. The project consists of 3 variations of a chain single crochet stitch. She defines the stitch and it's variations here. I'm no expert, but to me it seems like an extension of a single crochet, but not a half double crochet. The look it creates is very unique. The variations only play on the uniqueness of the stitch and create a nice texture.
My project inspiration came from a scarf I saw a few years ago while out with my family. I still remember walking up to the lady and asking her about her scarf (and probably wanting to touch it!). It used only one color of yarn, looked like just the right weight to wear all year, and had a really neat combination of stitch patterns. It took me almost two years, but I finished my own version of the scarf and tailored it just for me.
Introducing my
button scarf
I had a little less than 2 hanks of Berroco Touche worsted weight yarn in Sweet Pea Green. It is a very soft yarn that is 50% cotton/50% rayon. I used my "H" hook and chained 82 for my starting row. I then followed variation 3 for approximately 10 rows.
I used variation 1 and evenly placed 9 stitches down the edge of the scarf. The following rows had 10 stitches, including the turning chain. I crocheted until it was half the length I wanted it. I fastened off my yarn. I repeated variation 1 on the other side of the scarf by attaching my yarn,with a slip stitch, chaining 2 and completing 9 stitches of row 1 of the variation down the opposite side. My scarf ended up measuring about 3 inches wide and 73 inches long.
This is more of an idea than a pattern. You can easily mix any of the 3 variations of the chain single crochet or your favorite stitch patterns. My goal was that the multiple textures showed up when I was wearing the scarf.
Make Something Mondays too!




LOVE the stitch pattern but I really, really like the buttons and the versatility! So pretty!
ReplyDeleteYour scarf is gorgeous and looks fantastic on. I love the color and the buttons too.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great scarf, so versatile and what a lovely shade of green! Nice photo's too!
ReplyDeleteIt looks fantastic!! Great job with this!! It's so versatile!
ReplyDeleteHi Lindy.. thanks for popping over to my blog and for your kind comment. Your scarf is made in my favourite colour and is very sophisticated! I love it...and the photographs are so professional... you look beautiful! Have a restful Sunday :)x
ReplyDeleteHi, Thanks for your nice comment on my cowl :)
ReplyDeleteYour are also very beautiful, I love the color and the buttons detail! I think the green goes with your air color too, in fact, green is one of my favorite colors :)
You did such a great job! You put everything I have ever done or tried to shame! I just love it! You look so pretty in that green!
ReplyDeleteSimply gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIt looks fantastic! I don't normally like green but I really like that green!
ReplyDelete