Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On my mind

I don't write or really follow any blog frog communities.  Every once in a while if I see something on a blog I will click just to read for a while.  A few weeks ago I read a discussion and it has stuck with me for a long time.  It's been on my mind and I don't think I will ever reply but maybe I should of.  

The discussion was about stay at home and working out of the house moms.  The writer, who works outside of the home, thought it was ridiculous that stay at home moms say that having one kid at home is so hard.  She just doesn't see what they mean.  I can agree.  From the other perspective maybe it does look easy.  I have no idea what it takes to get my kids up every morning on time, have a bag packed for daycare, feed them, and then drop them off.  After working, you pick them up, quick run errands, eat, bath, and bed.  I have no idea, but I know that somedays that sounds kind of nice to me.  Leave them at daycare and know they are taken care of while I go work another part of my brain with adults.  

On the other hand, this mom has no idea what I try to do everyday.  The key word is TRY!  Working moms drop their kids off at daycare and expect them to have fairly nutritional meals, educational activities and games, little or no TV, art projects, socialization, and maybe a nap.  So, no I'm not eating bon bons and watching TV all day.  I'm trying to do the same thing. Interacting with my child the whole day.  Yes, I run my errands during the day instead of after a full day of work.  Yes, I fold laundry while the kids are napping and watch a show sometimes.  Yes, on a good day I get to crochet for a while when the boys are sleeping.  I also try to get my stuff done before the day is done so that I can hang out with my hubby after the boys are in bed.  This all sounds great, but it rarely happens at the same time.  Most of the time I have things to do after the boys are in bed and the laundry doesn't get done while the boys are sleeping.  

But what am I doing while they are awake?  The same thing they are at daycare.  I'm trying to come up with good meals and snacks to eat, activities that I do with them to teach them things.  I try to keep the TV off after we're ready in the morning.  We paint and color together.  I am blessed to be able to go to MOPS and playdates, but those are also good for my kids as they learn to share and play with others in different situations and environments.  I also have to clean up after every meal and pick up toys ALL day long.  

In the end, not one is better than the other.  There is no right or wrong, there is just different.  I think we need to remember that more as we go on in life.  In parenting and faith and lots of things.  There isn't a right or wrong, just different.  No, I haven't walked a mile in a working outside the home mom's pair of shoes.  So I don't know.  I also know we're all moms and we're doing the best we can.  It's just different for everybody!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO with you! Being at home is hard, challenging, and busy. Staying away from the TV or internet is not easy either. I do feel so blessed to be home with my kids, and I wouldn't want it to be any other way..... BUT there are those days where I wish I could get away....

    On that note, to answer your question about homeschooling, yes! I am planning on homeschooling, but we'll just take it one year at a time and see how it goes. I found a curriculum that looks like a really good fit for us: Sonlight. So the plan is to do it this year, and next year and see what we think when kindergarten time comes around. :)

    ReplyDelete